LIFE AT IMC AS FPGA ENGINEER
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
IMC is a leading global market maker, using algorithmic trading and advanced technology to buy and sell securities on multiple trading venues worldwide. We provide liquidity to the financial markets, driving efficiencies for buyers and sellers.
Founded in 1989, we are an ambitious, innovative company and identified early on the importance technology would play in the fast-paced evolution of trading. This entrepreneurial spirit still drives us today and can be found in all of our offices around the world.
We now operate globally from offices in Europe, the US and Asia Pacific. Our employees work closely together in multidisciplinary teams, making our success possible.
Technology - At IMC, technology is not a department, it is at the heart of everything we do. Our technologists push the limits of possibility, and then look beyond. In our fast-paced environment, short feedback loops mean projects worked on in the morning can enter production the next day.
Trading – Although our traders come from many backgrounds they all have one thing in common: they are at their best solving complex problems. Their insight into global events, market shifts and pricing ensure we are trading in the right place, at the right time.
Business Support - Around the world, IMC’s business support teams are essential for sustaining our success. In our dynamic environment, we have many exciting challenges and multidisciplinary opportunities to shape our operations and make a real impact.
Our employees are our greatest asset so we give them lots of responsibility and the support they need to make a difference. Our flat structure fosters a culture of openness and collaboration, encouraging the sharing of ideas and knowledge. It makes no difference if you have been with us for three days or three years, the best idea wins.
While we work hard, we also have a lot of fun; whether solving complex challenges or in team building, leisure and sporting activities. IMC also enables its employees to contribute towards a better society through our foundation.
FPGA ENGINEERING AT IMC:
- FPGAs allow us to achieve the lowest possible latencies which is key in keeping our trading strategies best in class
- As an FPGA engineer you will benefit from your expertise in ASIC or FPGA design. Efficient RTL designs (Verilog, SystemVerilog, or VHDL) are how we accelerate trading decisions to their theoretical limits
- You'll work in a team that takes responsibility to own the complete solution. Outside of creating FPGA designs, you will be responsible for finding ways to become more productive, improve verification, along with measuring and monitoring your already-deployed solutions. We value good engineering practices and we take our responsibilities for stable financial markets very seriously.
- We currently use a combination of Verilog, C++, SystemVerilog and scripting languages for our FPGA systems. We automate our testing and verification as much as possible.
- We connect to exchanges over Ethernet so understanding the details of network protocols and network infrastructure is a very important aspect of the job.
WHAT MAKES IT FUN?
- One of the most fun aspects of the job is that we have a very quick feedback loop. We release early and often to get incremental benefits as they are developed
- We operate at the bleeding edge of technology. Whether it’s Altera or Xilinx, we are committed to always using the fastest technology to base our solutions on. If something new can potentially bring an advantage we will actively invest in developing and utilizing the solution
- We really believe in sharing knowledge and technology between the different offices. Much of our technology stack is shared between all 3 regions, and we provide opportunities to travel between the regions both for personal growth and to assist where it has the biggest impact.
- To get the best results we encourage everybody to gain understanding of both the trading strategy and how exchanges work on a technological level.
- Working at IMC is also an opportunity to learn about financial markets. We know from experience that a lot of people really enjoy learning about a field beyond their immediate area of expertise, it’s one of the things that makes this job more interesting than others.
- We employ a broad range of people with varying backgrounds. What they have in common is their superior technical expertise, their extraordinary smarts and their collaborative approach. We will not accept less.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
- 2+ years of experience working with FPGA/ASIC design, testing and verification module design
- Experience working with hardware development tools
- Experience in System Verilog/Verilog, C++ and Python and/or other scripting languages
- Ability to work in a Linux environment
- Experience with network and system level protocols, packet based data processing, and computer architecture
- Familiarity with financial services industry a plus
OUR HIRING PROCESS
To set you up for success, you can find our hiring process including tips on applying and interviewing with us on our website. Now it’s up to you! Apply today to start an amazing journey with IMC.