About the Position
This position offers exposure to the full production lifecycle - architecture, prototyping, implementation, monitoring and physical deployment of Jane Street’s network. Members of the network engineering group will work with other groups within the technology department to build, monitor and maintain our global network. In addition to the production environment, network engineers actively research, test, and implement new technologies and products in a constant effort to improve the reliability, performance, and usability of our network. This role is global and requires constant interaction with the network engineers and technology groups in foreign offices.
- Ability to efficiently analyze and deconstruct technical problems.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Solid foundation in computer science and networking principles.
- In depth understanding of common network protocols, best practices and the ability to apply these skills to design robust and performant networks.
- Experience dealing with networking hardware and working familiarity with common platforms.
- Beyond networking, technical strength in programming or system administration.
- Willingness and ability to solve small problems in the field. You should be handy enough to not always need a tradesman.
- Ability to be part of an on-call rotation.
- Ability to respond to critical system emergencies.
- The ability to describe detailed problems with brevity and accuracy.
In addition the core networking responsibilities listed above, if you can demonstrate knowledge/expertise in any of the skills below it would be a plus:
- Linux System Administration.
- Cisco Call Manager.
- Firewalls and Security related products.
- Programming, and a willingness to learn new languages.
- Familiarity with full Data Centre design considerations, construction and maintenance life cycles. Familiarity with plant infrastructure such as CRAC's, UPS's HVAC and BMS system integration.
- Familiarity with construction process and management.
- Design work for trading floors.