About the Position
This role involves both operational and project-oriented work in Jane Street's London office. The team centralizes support functions for Jane Street technology groups. Production engineers divide their time between a support rotation in which they actively resolve live issues, and project work in which they work on software projects designed to improve support infrastructure.
When participating in the support rotation, production engineers are responsible for:
- Working with trading, infrastructure, and technology desks to understand and react to issues as they arise during the trading day.
- Monitoring the health of Jane Street's trading infrastructure.
- Configuring internal systems and communicating with external parties to ensure trading is operating safely and smoothly.
When not on the support rotation, production engineers work on projects to improve the support infrastructure, by:
- Writing code to improve the stack of tools and systems for managing, monitoring, and configuring Jane Street's trading infrastructure.
- Working with developers across the firm to improve the reliability of existing applications.
- Developing applications that improve the ability to support a wide variety of internal tools and systems.
- Strong programming skills that demonstrate high potential and an aptitude for learning.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A sense of responsibility, ownership, and urgency.
- Comfortable operating in a Unix environment.
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills.